JOB OVERVIEW: Responsible for building, promoting and implementing a sustainable-shared research and development program vision to support business objectives at Perry’s Ice Cream and lead the team to the cultural transformation of such vision. Act as the R&D face to the customer and support product development for co- pack and the Perry’s brand. Act as a process authority as it is related to ice cream manufacturing. Lead all areas of Research and Development including: Product/Process development / Modification, Project Management, Team Leadership and development, Cost Control, Formulation and Formula Maintenance, Labeling and Nutritional Issues, Regulatory Affairs, and Product Packaging. Interface frequently with Quality Assurance, Marketing, Sales, Customers, Vendors, Regulatory Agencies, Purchasing, and Operations in support of company and department objectives
- Internal: Wide-range of company contacts with many departments, teams, team leaders, and team members.
- External: Numerous customers, vendors, industry organizations, regulatory agencies, etc.
JOB RESPONSIBILITES (included, but not limited to):
- Build, promote a sustainable-shared research and development program vision to support business objectives at Perry’s Ice cream and lead the cultural transformation of such vision
- Lead, train and develop the research and development team in support of company and department objectives (quality, cost, delivery, safety, and morale)
- Lead the product/process development and/or improvement from concept to final product including bench top, pilot plant, plant trials, and production runs
- Develop and participate in tests and evaluations of ingredients and equipment needed to support product development and cost improvements
- Set up and conduct effective sensory evaluation sessions of existing, new and competitors’ products and/or ingredients or process modifications, and subsequently, perform statistical analyses of data
- Prepare product descriptions, ingredient declarations, nutritional information and calculations. Evaluate against regulatory requirements for compliance.
- Set up and maintain R&D records including ingredients and ingredient specifications, nutritional databases of ingredients and products, information on product specifications and codes and various documents in support of the SQF program. Set-up and maintain Item numbers, Mix BOMs, Finished Product BOMs
- Understand and perform computer-assisted operations in development of test and plant formulations and Bills of Materials (BOMs). Train others on these processes.
- Assist Marketing in packaging development, including reviews and sign offs at various stages of development relative to NLEA and labeling matters for branded, co-pack, and private label products
- Serve as a resource to the QC Lab providing necessary assistance and training as the needs of the department or company may dictate
- Participate in cross-functional team-based functions related to quality, cost, delivery, safety, and morale in support of company and department goals
- Perform necessary clerical duties for department including ordering supplies, ingredients and equipment, and handling correspondences on such orders
- Lead the Organic, Kosher and other product Certification programs and work with their representatives in support of new product development or product modifications
- Serve as a resource to the Mix Room providing necessary assistance and support as the needs of the department or company may dictate
- B.S. in Food Science or related field (i.e. Dairy Science, Nutrition, Culinary, Biological Sciences), or A.A.S. in Food Science or related field AND
- 10+ years’ experience in food processing and/ or food ingredient environments preferred
- 4 years of experience in product/process development including successful launches of several new products (or processes). 5+ years’ experience preferred.
- Able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis
- Able to taste dairy products and other allergenic ingredients
- Strong Team skills; demonstrates a collaborative work style
- Effective in project planning and project leadership in support of new food product/food processing development
- Ability to develop, teach and train team members Strong management skills applied to team members across multiple departments (R&D, QC, and/or Operations)
- Strong visionary, cultural developer and transformational leadership characteristics
- Strong computer skills and willingness to learn programs as the position may dictate in a reasonable time. Proficient with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and Microsoft Outlook, Google Forms, Red Zone, OWL software or equivalent software
- Willingness to participate in all facets of food processing and storage associated with frozen dessert manufacturing
- Experience demonstrating ability to function and contribute to projects within cross functional teams (i.e. marketing, sales, purchasing, production, and finance)
- Strong creative skills/instincts
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Safety and Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s)- Must follow the Company guidelines and vision to enhance and create a positive safety & GMP environment
- Flexibility – work may be performed on all shifts and weekends
- Ability to facilitate problem solving teams
- Willingness to participate in travel including overnight travel in support of product development or training as the need arises
- Office, laboratory, pilot plant, and plant environments associated with the manufacture and storage of frozen desserts
- Considerable time may be spent on computer functions
- Some travel to outside facilities in support of essential duties
- Slippery floors conditions
- Some lifting
Perry’s Ice Cream is an Equal Opportunity Employer and drug free facility.
Please reach out to WesternNewYorkIFT@gmail.com to submit any job opportunities in the Western New York region!
* * *
For any other opportunities, IFT’s Career Center is the premier destination to help you find or fill a position in the science of food. Please check IFT’s Career Center and other career development opportunities here